The BMW M235i features the mighty N55B30O0 engine which is a single turbocharged 3.0L inline 6 cylinder. Power output is 326hp and 322lb-ft (450Nm) of torque. BMW recommends changing the oil every 11,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first. Ensure your engine has been warmed up prior to draining. After removal of the drain plug, let it drain for 20 - 30 minutes.
What type of oil should I use in my BMW M235i N55 engine?
BMW recommends full synthetic oils that meet BMW Longlife-01 (BMW LL-01) and BMW Longlife-01 FE (BMW LL-01 FE) standards.
BMW Longlife-01 (BMW LL-01)
Special BMW approval for fully synthetic long-life oil. Product meets ACEA A3/B3 and API: SJ/CD EC-II.
BMW Longlife-01 FE (BMW LL-01 FE)
Fully synthetic long-life oil with fuel economy properties. Oils meeting this specifications must have a low HTHS viscosity to meet the manufacturer's fuel economy requirements.
Per page 178 of the 2 series owner's manual:
The label of the oil should list the rating standards the product meets as shown in the image below:
What is the OEM BMW oil filter part number for the N55 motor?
This OEM BMW oil filter kit costs around $15 and comes complete with (1) oil filter, (1) drail plug washer and (1) oil filter cap o-ring.
What are alternative N55 oil filter part numbers?
What is the oil filter cap torque?
25Nm or 18lb-ft
What is the oil drain plug torque?
25Nm or 18lb-ft
What is BMW oil filter cap tool part number?
OEM BMW Part Number: 83300493936
It costs around $17 new
What is the oil light reset procedure?
- ➊ Keep foot off brake pedal & press "Start / Stop" button to turn on battery
- ➋ Press and hold the "Set / Reset" button on the dash until the service indicator light appears.
- ➌ Press the "Set / Reset" button multiple times until the oil indicator is shown.
- ➍ Press and hold the "Set / Reset" button.
- ➎ When "RESET" appears, release the "Set / Reset" button.
- ➏ Press and hold the "Set / Reset" button again.
- ➐ The oil reset is now complete and your new mileage countdown will begin.
How do I check my engine oil level?
- ➊ Under "Menu" on the iDrive controler selecct "Vehicle Info"
- ➋ Select "Vehicle Status"
- ➌ Select "Measure engine oil level"
- ➍ Select "Start measurement"
Where can I learn more information on oil weights and viscosity?
Learn more BIMMERtips information on oil by clicking HERE