|Problem:||Reseting your service indicator after oil change.|
|Application:||E39, E38, E53 X5 models 2001 and later.|
|Solution:||Perform the steps below|
How to reset late model BMW E39, E38, E53 X5 oil service / inspection light:
The below procedure works ONLY on BMW E39, E38, E53 X5 models with a build date from 09/2000 onward. Early model E39, E38, E53 X5 oil service / inspection lights must be reset using a different method. After performing an oil change, the BMW E39, E38, E53 X5 oil service / inspection light must be reset. Once reset, the computer will then count down from 15,000 miles until the next oil change.
The reset procedure is straightforward and does not require any special tools or even for the vehicle to be brought to a dealer. If you change your own oil at home you can and must reset your indicator light through the steps below.
What are the steps?
- Turn the ignition key in the "off" position.
- Press and hold the lower left button on the instrument cluster, which is the trip odometer button.
- While the trip odometer button is pressed, turn the ignition key to the FIRST position (KLR).
- IMPORTANT: DO NOT GO TO THE SECOND POSITION, if you do, remove the key and start over
- Keep the trip odometer button pressed for approximately 5 seconds until one of the following words appear in the display: "OIL SERVICE" or "INSPECTION" or "RESET SIA:" is illuminated.
- Release the trip odometer button and press and hold it until "RESET" flashes and release your finger.
- While the display is flashing, press the left button briefly to reset the service interval.
- The oil service interval is now reset.
- A Clock Symbol will appear which indicates the brake fluid renewal interval is displayed.
- Press the left button to skip the brake fluid renewal interval reset menu.
- "END SIA" will appear, press the left button one last time and the process is now complete.
The system can only be reset again after 2.5 gallons (10 liters) of fuel have been consumed or has been driven 50 to 75 miles.
Other BMW model oil service inspection light reset procedures: